Sunday 4 August 2013

A Bit of Holiday Fun

This time next week, we should be sat in a tent on Bodmin Moor. Now if I were an optimist I would be picturing myself sat with a glass of wine in the sunshine after a blissfully easy drive from Derbyshire to Cornwall, a swift and dry tent erection (easy now, there are children on this trip!) and watching my offspring toasting marshmallows and singing campfire songs.

If you know me well, you will know that actually I'm envisaging a late start, a frazzled journey, an epic battle with the elements and four damp and slightly tetchy people huddled over a game of Uno wearing every jumper they possess.

Ah well, only time will tell.  I am trying not to look at the long range weather forecast and in true Jenny style also ignoring the thought that I should be creating packing and to-do lists, washing things and generally getting ready.  No, instead I'm looking at pictures of our last Bodmin holiday, three years ago and watching Dox Martin to get in the mood.

We're headed to South Penquite Farm, where we stayed very happily in 2010 and I'm hoping it's still as good as it was then.  I remember lots of animals, lots of space, a green ethos and a very nice line in mutton burgers.

As we're hoping to do some geocaching, I decided to set up a special holiday blog and invite my fellow happy campers to join me in creating some new memories.

Between now and then there is a lot of organising and packing to do, with the slight complication of number three child spending this week in Colwyn Bay, not returning until Saturday afternoon and us leaving on Sunday morning.  I may have to dry her smalls by tying them to the roof box on the journey down.  I also need to leave the older two, who are house and dogsitting, with a reasonably clean house and a selection of food that can be defrosted and microwaved by an 18 year old who can only leave his X-box for a short amount of time before his head drops off .

There is also a distinct possibility of a heated marital discussion on the optimum time to leave the house.  I like to pack the night before, get up at dawn and enjoy the empty roads with the tent up by lunchtime.  Raymond prefers to amble about, leave "when we're ready" and get the tent up before it gets dark.  I can feel the happy holiday mood starting already....

No comments:

Post a Comment